The States of NSW, WA, NT, ACT and TAS all have systems in place for hassle-free approvals and fast-tracked building for a Granny Flat.
Provided a few criteria are met, compliance is a simple process, without the expense or time-consuming council approvals often associated with conventional building projects.
- Standard Block Size 450m2 – 900m2
- Minimum Lot width of 12m
- The combination of the primary dwelling & secondary dwelling must not be over 50% of the total block size
- A rear boundary set back of 3m with a minimum of 900mm space from the side of the block boundary.
Other Site Considerations
- Site drainage must comply with your council storm-water policies.
- If trees are on the proposed site, they may require permits to be removed. Dwellings will generally be set back by 3m from protected trees.
- If a Granny Flat wall is within 1.8m of an existing dwelling, the wall must be fire rated.
- Heritage, Fire and Flood considerations.
In addition to the above, your council may allow you to separate the mailing address and arrange for individual utility bills.
A Granny Flat does not permit the actual subdivision of your property – unless it’s already allowed under a local planning scheme.
To find out more, contact us today to book a free onsite inspection & consultation.